Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Surprise, Surprise! Key West Style.

From the beginning, David and I never gave each other Christmas presents. Instead, we put our money together for a nice vacation. For the first Christmas, we took a January vacation to Jacksonville, FL (at the time we were living in freezing Indianapolis). For Christmas #2, we didn't do anything. Everything kept falling through and we were pretty preoccupied with moving to Florida on January 1st. In March, I flew home for NC vacation instead. With this being Christmas #3, we were excited about planning another trip. We looked into Tahiti, and then Hawaii. David was so excited about having a long vacation (it has been a while - not to mention we're workaholics). I just went with it ... if he was wanting Tahiti, I was game! :) Well, with some expected upcoming work changes in January and February and a coworker being on maternity leave March-May, we couldn't find the time to both take off for that. So, we decided to take time off from Dec. 21-26th for a Key West vacation! It sounded perfect and we started planning.

We arrived in Key West at noon on Tuesday and spent most of the day walking up and down Duval drinking Pina Coladas. Since we were in Louisville the week before, we were loving the 75-80 degree weather. I think it was in the teens in Louisville. We checked in, ate dinner, enjoyed the resort bar and hot tub and called it a night. Not quite what he had planned, but I had no idea and so it was a great day in my books.




Us - on the way to the resort



David



Me



View from our room


By Day 2, he's planning out all of the things that he wants to do. We wake up early and run and then immediately get ready for the beaches near the Southernmost Point.


Southernmost Point - 90 miles to Cuba

We rent a scooter, grab another pina colada (our first for the day) and then start walking up and down the beaches. We come up to this HUGE pier! We see an enormous sting ray and all sorts of pretty fishes. The water is crystal clear, the sky perfect blue and we're enjoying every minute of vacation. We must look at the fish for over 3o minutes. As we leave the pier, we stop again to look at fish. I mention that I want another pina colada and tell him that if I actually want to drink, he should be excited and go along with it! Ha (I never drink!). He says something in return (I don't remember the exact wording) agreeing and that yes, we can celebrate tonight. I say nothing - completely oblivious to his foreshadowing. A few minutes go by and he says "You never asked me what we were going to celebrate." I look at him confused, and not even seconds later he's pulling a ring box out of his pocket. He says something about spending the rest of his life with me ... but, I'm just so surprised. I wasn't expecting it all that I'm just like "Oh my God, are you serious! For real?? AAAHHH!" I am just so excited and happy and shaking and then he kneels on one knee and asks me to marry him! I say yes, of course!!






RING!!!!



View from Dinner



View from Dinner



Us - Celebrating at Dinner



Champagne the next morning

We enjoy the rest of our Key West vacation! I truly feel like I am the luckiest girl and in the world! I am just so incredibly happy!! I'm excited for what 2011 will bring and hope you all have an amazing 2011, too! :)



5 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Amazing. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOO excited I finally got to hear the whole story, I am SO happy for you! I can't believe we got engaged 2 days apart with almost the exact same ring! Can't wait to see you again, and see what your plans are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Sooo exciting!! Congrats girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwww!!!! Congrats on the engagement chica!! :-]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww congrats!!! Did you get engaged on the 22nd then? (that's the date of my engagment - ummm but 9 years earlier). LOOOOVE Key West - one of my favorite vacations spots!

    ReplyDelete