Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Jingle Bell 5K


I decided, on a whim, to run a jingle bell 5K yesterday! I decided to have fun with it. I didn't really want to try for a PR (20:30) because I have a half marathon again next weekend, have been racing and running hard lately AND because I wanted to dress up for the race.

The day before I went to Target and bought some candy cane stripped socks. I bought two pair - one for my legs and one to cut and use as arm warmers. Then, I picked up a cheap Christmas shirt and a candy cane headband to finish the outfit. Sadly, the headband wouldn't stay on and I broke it while trying to force it on. Instead, I put three pairs of jingle bell shoe laces in my hair. Ha.

I warmed up with a mile or two and was ready to go. My friend, Jen, was really wanting to break 20:00 and her ipod was dead! I quickly gave her mine. Note to self: When you aren't going to use an ipod for a 5K, do not put bells in your hair. Ha. Luckily, I was in the Christmas mood, but it was super loud and obnoxious the.entire.way!

The course was actually pretty hilly. It was two loops around the mall. The first loop went by relatively quickly. I was trying to keep my pace, but kept slowing down. I hit the first mile in 6:40ish.

As we started the second loop, we quickly caught up to the walkers. I couldn't believe how much weaving in and out we were having to do. I was a little annoyed and then remembered that I wasn't trying to PR. I wanted to give it a great effort, but had expected this! I pushed through mile 2 in 7:05. I don't remember my last split and .1 but I tried to make myself start pushing around 2.8 I knew I had slowed some, but was ready for it to be over. My legs actually felt good, but my heart was beating fast and I was having trouble pushing!

I finished in 20:56.

It was FUN! It was fun to relax and run and not stress about PR-ing. I would have been so upset if I were aiming for my sub 20 in this race. With the hills and the second loop ... yeah! Besides, i wore knee socks and didn't even wear my speed/racing/lucky charm shoes. They were my heavy Mizuno's that I use for long runs and that have 400 miles on them. Oops.

I can't find the results online, but I won 3rd in my age group. Jen ran a 20:12 and got third in her age group, too!

The pic above was taken at Starbucks, after the race.

Today, I tried to run long. It started pouring about half a mile in so I turned around and only ran 2 miles for the day. My body is tired and I have a half marathon next weekend. I really wanted to get in a good long run, but I guess it will have to wait. Funny enough, as soon as I drove home, the rain stopped and it's been beautiful the rest of the day. I made myself go to Bikram Yoga this afternoon, though. 1 1/2 hour long class. I really needed to stretch out and I think it did the trick!! Hopefully now, I'll be ready for my tempo in the morning!



3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 5K! Love the picture...I saw this on Bobbi's blog and thought it was you :) Adorable outfit. Good luck on your half next weekend...you will do great! I also ran two miles today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so cute in that picture, I love it! Great race, and I am excited to read about your one next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the outfit!!! sounds like a fun day :)

    ReplyDelete