Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Still a Dork!

Exactly a year ago was 09/09/09! I was so excited to run 9 miles on my lunch break that day! I seriously thought that was the coolest thing ever.

Exactly a year ago, I was training for marathon #3 (NYC).

Exactly a year, I blogged "I may be the biggest dork, ever!" about my progression as a runner - about how I've gotten faster, stronger and fallen more and more in love with running longer distances. I could and still can remember 9/9/99 and remember how hard it was to run 5K's and how much I hated it. I was VERY happy with my running on 9/9/9 and blogged about how I looked forward to getting stronger and faster and even better in the future.

It's funny how things evolve. It definitely doesn't happen overnight! When I got to work today, I realized it was 9/9/10 and I instantly remembered running 9 miles a year ago. I logged onto runnersworld and pulled up my training stats for that day:

Felt tired after mile 5. Pace started slowing. Feet burned and legs were tired from yesterday. I was being so dorky though that I couldn't stop early. I wanted to run 9 miles on 9/9/9. 9:21 9:00 9:07 9:14 9:26 9:29 9:59 9:51 9:32

Total time: 1:25:03
Average Pace: 9:27


Sadly, I had already gotten my run on when I was looking at this. Today's Thursday and my schedule called for an easy 8 miler. I don't have my splits on me, but I do know that I ran 8 miles in 1:08:52 (average pace of 8:36). Had I known different, I may have pushed myself or added on an extra mile! :)

I quickly began thinking about how far I've come in the last year ...

I am now training for marathon #5. And, are you kidding me? My average "easy" pace is almost a minute faster!! WOW!!!! I was so proud of how far I'd come last year at this point, but I'm even more proud now! I've worked really hard in the last year and I've definitely had some bad runs where I've doubted my abilities. Like I said above, results don't come overnight ... but looking back a year later all of the hard work has been worth it.

I can't wait to see what I do in another year! :)

3 comments:

  1. hahah. i noticed it was 09/09 too and thought about 09/09/09 and how next month is 10/10/10! we can be dorks together :)

    great running. it's crazy to think how much has changed and how much progress can be made in a year. here's to another great year of running :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Isn't it great to see how far you've come? I'm excited that Steamtown is 10/10/10...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is probably one of my favorite things about having a blog and all my running logs is looking back and seeing the progress. That is awesome how much you have been able to do in the last year. Maybe in another year I can be as fast as you now, and still trying to catch you;)

    ReplyDelete